Posted by Laurie Sullivan at 2/10/2009 11:00:00 AM
This is a copy of the flier Barrett Science Lead Teacher Allyson Greene sent home in December:
Barrett’s Science Discovery Night and Celebration!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Below you will find some important information about our upcoming Science Discovery Celebration. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s classroom teacher, or myself,
Many thanks for your continued support in making Barrett such a great place for kids to learn!
Information about Science Projects:
- Each student at Barrett will participate in a class science fair project. The classroom teacher will involve all students in a whole class experience which then will be a part of the science fair board display.
- Using the scientific method (see below), students are then encouraged to work on an independent science fair project at home. This should be a project in which data is obtained by conducting a fair experiment. That is, the experiment should have multiple trials or times it is performed, and only one idea should be tested. For example: Does the type of baseball glove effect the number of times a ball is caught? There would be several trials of this experiment and the test is on baseball gloves, so the baseball thrown should remain the same throughout the experiment.
- All independent projects are expected to be displayed on a display board, which can be purchased in our school store. We will have white boards and colored boards. The pricing should be about $4.00. We will begin selling them in January.
- The independent projects are due Wednesday, February 25, 2009 and will be displayed in our media center as well as hallways.
The Scientific Method
Discovery Night Celebration Information:
- Our celebration will take place throughout the day on Thursday, February 26th and into that evening. Parents, relatives and friends are welcome to attend from 6:30-8:00 pm. During that time, we will have Telescopes from the Arlington Public Schools Planetarium set up for viewing the night sky. We will have Eleanor Hodges from Arlingtonians for a Cleaner Environment to teach about watersheds and the environment. Also, we will have an Osborne bookseller selling wonderful books related to all areas of science.
- We will also have a fabulous presenter from NASA Langley Research Center, Education Department, Ms.Rudo Kashari! She will be bringing lots of great things which will showcase NASA and the upcoming mission to Hubble Space Telescope! We also will have some other surprises that evening!
Example of a Display Board…notice a title, labels, and how each section is organized: