Posted by Laurie Sullivan at 8/28/2011
Project Discovery, an APS Exemplary Project
We would like to say thank you for the wonderful, ongoing support given to Project Discovery throughout the entire year from our community. It has been a great year here in the Discovery Lab as we have had many fun, engaging lessons, as well as many unique opportunities. We would like to share some of the highlights from the 2010–2011 school year:
- First place in the NASA Spaced Out Sports Challenge! 5th graders designed a game called Save The Earth that will be played by astronauts onboard the International Space Station (ISS) later this year! In addition, the entire school was treated to a NASA Fun Day on Friday, June 10. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32561453@N05/sets/72157626930926984
- We had a small team of 3rd graders finish as finalists in the Kids Science Challenge! Their project was called Magical Microbes.
- ROBONAUT 2 became a permanent fixture in the Discovery Lab. This model is a replica of the one NASA sent into space in February to work aboard the ISS. We continue to be active alumni NASA Explorer School!
- We had an incredible turnout for our annual NASA Science Discovery Night! The highlight of that event: building with thousands of LEGOS!
- Students love using the 10 iPads in the Discovery Lab that were purchased with a contribution of funds raised by our PTA.
- Project Discovery was awarded a $10,000 Toyota TAPESTRY Grant for the upcoming school year! The grant is titled: They are Wild. They are Here. They are Yours—Connecting Kids with their National Wildlife Refuges and other Local Habitats.
Check out these photos of Barrett teachers on Saturday, June 18, at the National Wildlife Visitor Center connected to Patuxent Research Refuge preparing for field trips with our upper grade students next year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32561453@N05/sets/72157626872615427
Also posted are photos from our Project WILD teacher workshop on Wednesday afternoon June 1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32561453@N05/sets/72157626746053511