Posted by Allyson Greene at 3/27/2012 11:35:00 AM
Students work cooperatively to research renewable energy resources. Third graders are investigating the benefits of renewable resources of energy. Students are working in pairs to research the characteristics and benefits of solar, wind, and water energy. By viewing several preselected You Tube videos, students are using their language skills to complete a graphic organizer, which will ultimately help when they become ‘energy consultants’ for the NWRS! Students will use their knowledge to inform a wildlife refuge of how they can become more dependent on solar, wind, and/or water energy resources. Below is the outline of the lesson, along with the objectives and pictures of our young energy consultants on the job! (Pictures will be updated throughout the lesson) Objectives: Content:
- Students will be able to identify the characteristics and benefits of renewable energy resources–solar, wind, water.
- Students will be able to complete a graphic organizer while learning about renewable energy resources.
- Introduction–students read objectives
- Video clips–coal mining and renewable energy resources on You Tube
- Explain graphic organizer and how to use iPads with links
- Student research in pairs
- Closure: Discussion of what movies–characteristics and benefits of the resources
- Next Steps: Finish viewing and completing graphic organizer. Begin to think about how NWRS uses renewable energy.
Mom and daughter sharing some research in the Discovery lab! Caught doing a great job! Great teamwork!