Dear Barrett Families: It was so wonderful to see so many families at Friday’s Ice Cream social and the Farmer’s Market this weekend. Last week, our students settled into the routines of the school. Beginning this week, students will begin their beginning of year assessments in literacy and mathematics. This week, we will begin with the DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills) Assessment for our 1st-5th grade students. Please ensure students arrive at school with a good night’s sleep and breakfast. Please see the information below to help you get ready for this week!
- Barrett Runners is a running and walking group for teachers and 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Each year we have about 100+ students and 25+ teachers sign up to participate. Teachers pair up with 1-4 students to walk, walk/run, or run 2-3 miles in the Barrett neighborhood and in Lubber Run Park. Teachers work with students to mentor and improve pace and enthusiasm each week. Good sportsmanship is expected, inappropriate behavior is not tolerated. Barrett runners will meet on Fridays and begin on October 7 and will meet on the following dates- Oct 7, 14, 28, Nov 4, 18). Permission slips for Barrett Runners will be shared shortly.
- COVID In-School Testing: APS will continue to offer optional in-school COVID testing for all students and staff through our testing partner, Aegis Sciences Corporation. Our testing day is Thursday from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM in the lobby. Please see this link for more information. Please remind your child to get tested on Thursday mornings if you have opted them in.
- How to OPT IN to Testing:
- If this is your first time participating: You can OPT IN here (students)
- If you participated last year:
- You should renew your consent directly through the PrimaryHealth portal. Instructions were sent to the email you previously registered with. If you need assistance renewing consent, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to OPT IN to Testing:
- Friday Volunteers is back! Please see the flyers below for more information
- Health and Safety Information for the 22-23 School Year
- Please see this link with information on how to report if your child has tested positive and other safety measures for this school year. Volunteering at BarrettWe will have a variety of opportunities for families to volunteer at the school to support our students this school year. Please complete the volunteer application and other important training to complete your volunteer training if you are interested in volunteering. See this link for more information on volunteering with us.
|Upcoming Events At A Glance|
|September 14||5:00 PM- 6:00 PM||Gates of Ballston Backpack Event|
|September 16||9:15 AM- 10:15 AM||Friday Volunteers – In Person @ Cafeteria|
|September 26||No School||Holiday- Rosh Hashanah|
|September 29||5:30-6:30 PM||Gifted Services Parent Information Night|
|Quarterly Grade Level NewslettersClick on the link for your child’s grade level newsletter. This year, newsletters will be linked to the principal’s message. Please reach out to your child’s teacher to request a printed copy if you’d prefer a hard copy..|
|Pre-K||Montessori||Kindergarten||1st Grade||2nd Grade||3rd Grade||4th Grade||5th Grade|
|Dr. Duran’s Message||Principal’s Eye of the Tiger September 5|